Lipbalm seems to be one of those things that people hoard, myself included. I can never resist a pretty pot or unusual smell. That’s probably why i’ve wanted to make my own for so long. Here’s an incredibly simple recipe and method. These will last up to 2 years so make up a batch and keep them on hand for quick gifts, party favours, stocking fillers, teacher gifts, fundraising, anything you like!
Makes: 20 (easily halved or quartered)
- 28g beeswax
- 20g solid cocoa butter
- 50ml almond oil
- 50 drops flavour essence (I used 25 drops lime and 25 drops coconut)
You can find all of these ingredients online really easily. This is a great website, they even sell their own pre-packaged kits.
- Heatproof or stainless steel bowl
- Measuring jug / scales
- Pipette (optional)
- Containers of your choice, mine are 4.5ml
- Measure out all ingredients, except flavouring
- Melt together in a bain marie
- Take off the heat and drop in your flavour essence
- Transfer mixture to a jug or container with a pouring spout, if needed
- Pour carefully into your chosen containers
- The mixture will solidify very quickly so it’s ok to re-melt if needed
- For accuracy top up with a pipette, I didn’t have one and made a mess with a few!
- Leave to stand for a few minutes before putting the lids on, and 24hrs before using them.
Quick warning: You’re free to use these lipbalms yourself (obviously!) or gift to other people, but if you’re hoping to sell them, as with all cosmetics, you need to have a safety certificate. Some companies sell pre-certified mixtures that you can melt down and re-package to sell, but I think that kind of takes all the fun out of it.
How easy was that? Have fun mixing up crazy flavours!